Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Faces of FFP: Why I've Dedicated My Life to FFP

Kristin Hamner, FFP's DR director, and Pastor Alejandro share ideas for future projects in Batey San Joaquin.

"You help me be the pastor I've always desired to be!" 

Dear Friends,

After nine years of serving as a missionary in the Dominican Republic, I've grown accustomed to being asked questions like, "Why do you stay with FFP when you're so far from family and friends?" "With your new Master of Divinity degree wouldn't life be easier in the US?" and "Haven't you been there long enough?"

I have standard rehearsed answers that include things like completed projects...clean water...quality education...and improved medical care. But sometimes even I need to be reminded about why I stay. 

Recently my friend and colleague, Pastor Alejandro called me. A member of his congregation in Batey San Joaquin had broken a bone during construction of the community center. The man needed orthopedic surgery but neither he nor the congregation had money to cover the cost of it.

Looking for help, Pastor Alejandro's first call was to me. I contacted FFP's directors Ken Culver and Wendy Patchin who immediately agreed FFP would cover the cost of the man's surgery.

When I told Pastor Alejandro the good news, he exclaimed, "Thank you! Thank you for helping us! I feel so blessed and privileged to work with you and Foundation for Peace because you help me to be the pastor I've always desired to be!"

Tears filled my eyes. This is why I stay! 

Every single day--in ways that often go unseen--I am part of an organization that helps equip amazing pastors like Alejandro who dedicate their lives to improving life in their impoverished communities.

Yes, I could live a much easier life in the US. But the Lord has given me gifts and skills to use right here, working hand in hand with Dominican pastors to help truly transform communities. And there is no place I'd rather be.

I'm not asking you to give up your life to join me (although you're welcome to), but I am asking you to make a donation so FFP can continue saying "Yes!" to the many people who desperately need our help, like Pastor Alejandro.

Your contribution will directly help our staff build up pastors, congregations and communities. Will you please say "Yes" today? 

I thank you, and Pastor Alejandro thanks you.

Love and Blessings,
Kristin 

Kristin Hamner
National Director, Dominican Republic

No comments: