Friday, January 17, 2014

From Ashes to Glory

Going on a Foundation for Peace mission trip is a life-changing experience, but sometimes God opens doors for opportunities to serve that cause us to stand in awe at His provision and love.

Last summer the mission team from Long Valley Presbyterian Church went to La Victoria to continue building a church. Community and church members Kenia, Fernando and their five children were excited to reconnect with their American friends.

As the walls of the church rose, members of the community, including Kenia’s family, worked hand in hand with the LVPC team. Dominicans and Americans were one big, happy family.

On Thursday tragedy struck.

Kenia and Fernando’s house caught on fire. The group saw smoke and ran to the house. Powerless to stop the fire, they watched the house and all its contents burn to the ground.

Says Meghan Sullivan, “It had been raining all day and we think a power line sparked over the house and caught the gas tank on fire. Normally the kids would’ve been in the house, but they were helping at the worksite—even the three-year-old who’d been napping in the house 30 minutes before the fire started. I don’t want to think about what would have happened to the kids if we weren’t there. Our entire team was really shaken and upset.”

After the fire—the remains of Kenia and Fernando's house

The group quit working for the day and reflected on the tragedy. They quickly agreed on what needed to be done. “That same day our group of 24 committed enough money to rebuild Kenia and Fernando’s house. Since they are part of our family we invited them to stay with us for the rest of the week. Every day they had showers and meals. And they were surrounded by the love of family,” says Meghan.

On Friday, the day after the fire, rebuilding started. The group cleared debris and prepared the site for reconstruction. They bought the family shoes and a few days’ worth of clothes. The church community in La Victoria also rallied together and got bags of clothes for each family member.

Within a few days a new house started taking shape!

As if this wasn’t enough tragedy, Kenia and Fernando were supposed to be married on Saturday but their papers were destroyed in the fire. “So we threw them a wedding! We worked with the church to arrange decorations, flowers, tuxes and a wedding gown. We even had a reception! For a wedding gift our group gave them a new stove, gas tank and some kitchen items. A few members also sent them on a one night honeymoon!” recounts Meghan.

Wedding day! Kenia, Fernando and their children: Kevin, Derlis, Denzel, Keidel and Enmanuel.

The happy couple!

What seemed like a tragedy on Thursday was such an overwhelming joy by Monday. It was certainly not the trip they expected, but everyone from LVPC will never forget the experience and the tremendous joy that comes from giving. 

Today Kenia and her family live in their new home. Her eyes fill with tears of gratitude as she recounts the blessings from her Dominican and American families – and a loving God who is her Great Provider.

Kenia with sons Denzel and Keidel, and FFP staff members Alenny and Maura, stand in front of their new house 


God is good. All the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great lesson for all of us - God takes tragedy and through the goodness he bestows on us, turns it into majesty!

Unknown said...

I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.